11 September 2005

Fragile

So at my church we had a sort of service that looked at 9/11 a little bit today. We did it (as everything) in a bit of a different way. We used some video from a concert that Sting did. He put together a concert in September 2001 at his home in Tuscany and videotaped all the rehearsals and everything. Then the dress rehearsal on September 10, 2001. And then ... September 11, 2001 everything changed and so we used his band members' reactions and then their rendition of "Fragile" as a springboard for a time of some silent solitude reflecting on whatever we each needed to.

I have to say it was a powerful time for me. But as I listened to the words of "Fragile" I heard this:

"How fragile we are...


.... on and on ... the tears fell like rain ..."

and listening to Sting sing this song made me think that God must cry every day. And it changed, in an instant, my whole picture of God and how He loves us. By that I mean it's like I knew it before but now it came into focus better. Like when you're at the eye doctor's and you're getting fitted for new lenses and the chart suddenly clicks into focus -- what was very blurry is now very clear. But it's only momentary because in order to make sure they have everything just so, they have to change something else again. So, for just a moment there, I really understood how abysmally sad God is on His side that His relationship with us is so broken. It was in focus. "His tears fell like rain." We are all so lost wandering around this planet without God. Even those of us who dare to draw closer to Him. It's all broken. And won't and can't be fixed ... without Him.

How fragile we are ...

1 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

That's beautiful. Thank you so much for summarizing the pre-meditation portion. I sort of unexpectedly got to be in on the meditation, but was unclear on what specifically we were meditating. And I missed the follow-up, too. Hm. Still, quiet time with God is quiet time with God. :) I'll have to see if I can snag that video. Sounds very touching.

9/13/2005 12:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home