14 November 2005

Independence

While I was sick (and I have to say that I'm still recovering, because I have to take it slow and I have to remind myself of that), life pretty much went on in a normal fashion for the rest of the family. Except for me barking at them from my chair. One thing was different, but this was pre-planned and would have happened whether or not I was sick. LightGirl and LightBoy are taking a class this year called Kids Can Make a Difference. It's taught by another homeschooling mom in a nearby town to help kids understand about poverty and hunger in the world and what they can do about it now and throughout their lives. Usually they go to class in the afternoon, but last week they went to a food bank with their teacher of an evening. This was a good experience for them. The shocking part for me was when they came home, LightGirl came through the front door as an adult.

Maybe I was dizzy from all the (you know) in my head, or the drugs, and she has gotten taller. But when she walked through the door, an adult came walking in. It was quite startling. I commented on this to my own mother and she laughed and said, "Oh I remember the first time that happened with you. The problem is that then you expect adult behavior too and that's a lot longer in coming."

I've also noticed lately that when LightGirl stands next to me she has an adult presence to her now. She is less ephemeral and more solidly here. She is more willing to take me on, challenge me, run her iron against mine and see how it works; can she best me without bending or breaking? Sometimes I let her win, so that she knows how. But I make her work for it.

Then this morning she came downstairs and said, "Mom, I have no clean clothes." Making it very clear that she has peeked out over the edge of the nest and decided that the drop is too far for the moment and she does not trust her wings.

4 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

Heh. Well, some independence you want, and some you don't...
Very interesting moment. Thanks for sharing. ... I feel like she's grown a bunch since I've known her, too! Which has been considerably less than a year!
You'd think the concept of time marching on would become familiar eventually. But, no.

11/14/2005 01:14:00 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

...shudder... Sophie stay little please...

11/14/2005 09:05:00 PM  
Blogger Mike Stavlund said...

Well said, LightLady.

It is so true. And I'm so happy, and so sad all at once. On our recent trip to Cox Farms, I saw both sides so vividly. I'll have to tell you about it sometime.

And thanks for allowiing yourself to be bested (occasionally).

11/15/2005 09:04:00 AM  
Blogger WMS said...

THAT'S TOO CUTE! HAHAHA... she even exercized some teen attitude on Sunday (don't tell her-- it was nothing really.. but the first time I observed it from her). haha.

11/15/2005 03:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home