14 March 2006

I Wonder ...

Are not two sparrows sold for a cent? And yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows. Matthew 10:29-31

I wondered today, as we walked in the early morning, what Jesus would have to say about worms. In His day they didn't have sidewalks for worms to die on. But the worms are dying in abundance on the sidewalks of my neighborhood. They crawl up out of the soil at night to find other places to go and end up on the unforgiving concrete of the sidewalk as the heat of the sun rises and they shrivel and die. I want to take some sort of implement with me to get the worms back to the soil so they can live. But there are too many of them.

Worms are necessary for good healthy soil. If you turn over your soil and don't find any worms, nice healthy ones, you've got a problem. I explained all of this to a teenager once. He wasn't interested. I was paying him to dig up the clay that I wanted to turn into a flower garden and he didn't want to hear about worms. But, because I don't use a lot of chemical fertilizers on my lawn, I do have a lot of worms in my soil. I have an affinity for worms. They are an important part of the eco-system. And I don't like to see them dying on the sidewalks

So I wondered if God is so concerned about the sparrows and all of the other creatures He has created, what must He be thinking of the killer sidewalks we've created for His worms?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home