15 May 2006

Smaug Vanquished

And so it has come to pass that Smaug has been vanquished. I stood to do battle with him and when I looked he was a small Hispanic lady in a pink blouse with bright pink fingernails. She was a government worker at a certain agency that I needed to get through. I faced her with all my weapons drawn, a smile, a contrite heart, and downcast eyes. I was properly concerned for my oversight and the lack of concern of others for her dearly beloved agency. These became the best weapons of all. Smaug made a reverse turn again this morning as I had one more agency to visit, but I stared him down once again. This time it just took one hard look for him to turn tail and run into his corner.

I know he'll keep coming back. But I've learned some things about him and how to keep him penned. I've learned some things about me too and how to stay strong. That I have good friends. And most of all that the world isn't going to come to an end just because because Smaug is blowing smoke out his nostrils.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike Croghan said...

I hope you won't think this irreverent, but this post made me think of that charm they use on boggarts in Harry Potter to get them to turn from the scariest thing imaginable into the most amusing: "Ridikulus!" Maybe next time Smaug shows up, you should point your wand at hime, say (or think) "Ridikulus!" and turn him back into the already-vanquished lady in pink. :-)

In the real world, there's probably better advice to follow than that of your Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, but you never know.

5/15/2006 10:47:00 PM  
Blogger Mike Croghan said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5/15/2006 10:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home