10 July 2006

Of Minor Miracles

I soldiered on yesterday evening. Doing my daily battle with my mortal enemy, the weeds! I am becoming triumphant; taking back more and more ground. I enjoy this battle. It is far more satisying than housework because once done, it largely stays done. I have to return and pick a few strays that pop up here and there, but as I come and go from the house, I can see tangible evidence of the work I have done. For the most part the work remains and does not get undone as so much of my other work does.

Part of my garden is centered around a large flat rock. The LightChildren used to use this rock as a battle station, or a lookout point in their many games. Now it is (or used to be before it was overrun with weeds) a focal point in my garden).

Yesterday evening as I clipped away the leggy yarrow and dug up the insolent weeds, I came across a miracle next to the rock. I had seen it there and wondered what this plant with the strange small red flowers was. I knew I would get to it soon. Yesterday I did. They were not flowers at all, but the beginnings of blackberries. Somehow I have a blackberry plant in the midst of my flower garden! How wonderful. If I had weeded earlier in the summer I would have pulled it up in woeful ignorance.

I'll have just enough blackberries to have some for breakfast one morning. Lovely!

3 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

Yumyumyumyum!
There is something SO satisfying about looking at the freshly churned dirt that remains after weeds years in the growing have been uprooted and cast out. I was given that, er, special duty when my parents moved into a new house when I was 12 or 13. It took so long to make headway at first, but was so satisfying and tangible, as you say.
It sure beats dusting or folding clothes, most days!

7/10/2006 11:15:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I salute you soldier for your ongoing war against weeds. I have to tell you I know what you mean. The house we had in Columbus was newly built on an old cow pasture, and all kind of weeds would pop up through the newly laid sod. And there I would be digging up weeds. It sure helped my stress.

7/10/2006 07:10:00 PM  
Blogger Sonja Andrews said...

There is something very primal about digging in the dirt. It does help my stress to get out there and work in my garden on a regular basis. The overgrown chaos of my garden had become a metaphor for my life, so I committed to myself to taking a few minutes a day to cleaning it up. It's been good for me. With the added miracle of the blackberry bush!!

7/11/2006 07:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home