07 July 2006

Oh Happy Day

Today is the first anniversary of this blog. Happy day to it. Or to me. Or both of us. I thought I'd be happier today, but I'm sort of tired. It's been a long hard week or two. Falling over the edge of the cliff in January is taking a long time to get back from. I'm doing better now on many days. But today is not one of them. Today I feel the Balroc coming closer.

I drove out to the back of beyond yesterday. Two friends and I joined a Community Sponsored Agriculture farm. We each bought shares and take turns driving to pick up our shares. Yesterday was my turn. It takes about three hours for the round trip. Three hours of guilt and whine-free listening to my music and thinking my thoughts ... uninterrupted by anyone. Other than my own other thoughts.

I found another favorite song part yesterday. It's this: the tom-toms in Burning Down the House by Talking Heads. It was their breakthrough song and album in about 1983. But I'd been listening to them since the late 1970's. What I like about the tom-toms is that those drums are deceptively simple and almost totally arrythmic. Very cool ...

I'm struggling with LightGirl these days. This does not reduce the issues with the Balroc. She is growing up. It's a good thing. Independence is good. The process of achieving it is painful for all concerned. I keep reminding myself that if the butterfly does not struggle to remove itself from the chrysalis, it will not develop wings.

Beautiful weather today. I keep watching the birds on the roof across way. Hoping that they will lift my spirits to match the weather. I think I'll go sew or design something instead. Happy blog birthday to me.

4 Comments:

Blogger Maggie said...

Happy blogiversary!

7/07/2006 04:08:00 PM  
Blogger Karen Sapio said...

I've had this long standign fantasy about playing "Burning Down the House" in a Pentecost service--the whole fire thing. Haven't ever been in a place where enough people would "get it."

7/08/2006 03:33:00 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Playing "Burning Down the House" in a charismatic/Pentecostal service would be the best. Holy Spirit, there is a fire in our bellies, send us more fire, burn this house down...

7/08/2006 06:06:00 PM  
Blogger Sonja Andrews said...

I love that idea ... I'll keep it in my back pocket for next year's Pentecost/Shavuot service. We could have it as Eucharist music!! WOW!!!

7/11/2006 07:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home