17 August 2005

A First ... and a Last

So today LightBoy crossed the Rubicon. He swam out to the raft. Alone. Unaccompanied. LightHusband and I watched from the porch. Lightgirl was already on the raft with her friend. That was the carrot. He's been trying to do this since we got here. He's had permission. He's capable. But he didn't think he could. And today he did. He had to work his way up to it and he wore a life jacket and a noodle ... but he did it. Alone. He conquered his fear. Alone. I was really proud of him. Then I was sad too, because once it's done ... it's done. And after all that build up, he did it so casually. We couldn't even celebrate. Because we didn't want to call attention to all the times he'd chickened out.

Then he chased his sister and her friends yelling "I am Black Jack, the Pirate. Fear me!!" Now look at the picture and tell me if you'd be afraid?? What a silly boy!

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike Stavlund said...

big ups to Black Jack.

Today, he became a man.

8/18/2005 12:17:00 AM  
Blogger kate said...

Eeeek! I'd be afraid. Eww. Boy germs.

8/18/2005 11:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home