22 September 2005

First Level of Hell-oween

So ... you know you're a mom when you start making Halloween costumes in September ... and planning them in August.

LightGirl came to me at the end of August with this request. "I want to be a witch this year, Mom. But I want to be a Harry Potter witch. Like Hermione ... but not actually **be** Hermione. And here's a picture of the robes I want you to make." And were they like your typical wizard's robes like you think of (think tent, with a hood)? No. They looked more like this:



And it must be "straight" (i.e. plain) black velvet, with a green yoke, and green lining in the sleeves. But I've been let off the hook here, I'm told by LightGirl, because with a long dress (she assures me), she can wear regular shoes. She will not need any special shoes. Ohhhhhh ... k.

This is good because I just spent an afternoon at the fabric store choosing fabric ... ELEVEN YARDS of fabric for this dress (I mean, costume). Eleven yards of fabric. Eleven. She is not going to be able to walk. And the pattern has about ninety-hundred pieces. I am not going to spend a lot of money on shoes. Regular shoes will be good.

Thankfully (almost), LightBoy wants to be some Bionicle or other. This cannot be duplicated in fabric. At least not by me. It will have to be purchased. He has already found his costume on e-Bay. What a good boy. What a kind son. He has figured out how to wear a bicycle helmet on his face for a mask. I don't think it's comfortable, but it doesn't appear to be unsafe. If you think it's unsafe, please let me know.



There was much less pressure when we didn't "do" Halloween. But also much less fun.

5 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

I remember my childhood... getting dressed up in old ripped clothes and having cigarette ashes smeared on my face.

another halloween as a hobo.
wonderful
:-/

9/22/2005 09:54:00 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Ha ha! Sophie's halloween last year was the first time I celebrated the holiday. It felt great 'sneaking around' as an adult now with my parents all the way back in Ohio oblivious to the fact that their child had departed from her upbringing and that their grandchild was being exposed to evils untold.

9/22/2005 11:49:00 PM  
Blogger Sonja Andrews said...

Yep ... My mother had a flouncy red & white skirt that her parents had gotten when they were in Mexico. So I was always a gypsy. It's hard to be a convincing gypsy when it's 40 degrees. Also ... I really wanted to dress up as the pope, cause I liked his cool hat.

9/23/2005 09:56:00 AM  
Blogger kate said...

The Pope! Awesome idea. Don't know if I've seen that one.
I still don't know what Lizzy will be. We've decided Lilo will be too cold in late October. Argh! I guess the obvious choice is Cinderella, but ... yuk. And, she'll be one of thousands.
Can't wait to see Lily's dress. That sounds amazing! She's really excited about it.

9/23/2005 10:54:00 AM  
Blogger Maggie said...

You're creating wonderful memories for them. My mom always made our costumes and we gave them so much thought and planned so far in advance and got so excited about it that halloween is now my favorite holiday. I don't care all that much about the actual day now, but I just love that exciting Halloween is coming feeling and seeing all the decorations. I have a few up in my house already.

9/23/2005 04:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home