21 September 2005

Room Assignments

So I handed out the room assignments today.

In 10 days we head for Nags Head and a week of communal living.

This is our third year of this. We rent a house for a week in October with several other families. We can do this because we homeschool. Trust me when I tell you that the Outer Banks of North Carolina are delightful in October. There is almost no one there. The weather is still warm and so is the ocean. The beaches are almost empty. So are the stores. So are the dolphin watching tours and the kayaking rentals and the state parks and the national parks. We go ghost crab hunting at night and dune climbing during the day.

Every evening is someone else's turn to make dinner. So we each only have to make dinner one time. This works out well for everyone. Then there is one night which is a communal dinner that we all make. That is a crazy night. And fun too. The kids all eat at the breakfast bar, dangling their feet and demanding to eat sooner ... hungry from so much activity all day. Eyes all sparkly, mouths all grinny, bodies all wiggly ... they can't sit still, they have too much to say to the cooks and to anyone who will listen.


In the mornings, the early risers take coffee across the street to watch the sunrise over the ocean. That is when you catch God at His finest hour. It snatches my breath away to see the sun come up over the ocean and reminds me once again of how small I am. Of my true place in the grand scheme of things. Of my amoeba-likeness on the chessboard of the universe.

Only 10 days left before we leave ... but who's counting?

5 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

Aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

9/21/2005 11:10:00 AM  
Blogger Maggie said...

hmm, I've never seen the sun rise over the ocean. I've seen it set behind the ocean and that is pretty cool too.

9/21/2005 12:03:00 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Have fun. I think it'll be a beautiful trip. Last time I went there it snowed! I'm sure you won't run into that problem. Enjoy the beach.

9/21/2005 01:08:00 PM  
Blogger kate said...

Hey, Maggie, good point! I didn't pick up on that.

9/21/2005 04:45:00 PM  
Blogger Sonja Andrews said...

Maybe it's because I'm such a morning person ... and I **have** seen the sun set over the western ocean ... but there's nothing quite like a sun rise over the ocean. It just takes your breath away.

9/23/2005 09:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home