16 September 2005

(Un)Welcome Signs

So I was driving the LightChildren home from their class today and I saw the following sign outside a local church:

Try God:
If you don't like Him
The devil will be glad
to take you back.


And here I thought the purpose of such signs was to woo people in. But apparently it's to gross them out. Make them laugh. Horrify them. Or let them know that there are those just like them inside.

More and more I find that I would like a new name for the followers of Jesus. I mean the people who read the red words in the Bible. Or maybe that makes me just as bad as everyone else ... because now I'm also splitting hairs. But I really don't want to associate myself with the kind of people who put signs like that in front of their church. Because that's really so unloving. And Jesus spent so little of His time on things like that. He spent his time and energy making sure that people knew they were loved and valuable ... and ... well ... welcome.

3 Comments:

Blogger [REDACTED] said...

Ha ha ha. I saw that sign last night and thought the same thing. Followed by, well, what do you expect, we're in Manassas. Sorry, I kid, I kid.

I'm sure whoever decided on that particular phrasing thinks that are quite clever and witty and, hey, that's what the kids like these days, right?

9/16/2005 05:24:00 PM  
Blogger Sonja Andrews said...

You may have noticed that church has a school attached to it ... that school has damaged some really good kids over the years. The church has too for that matter. It's pretty sad. They usually have some doozy signs ... but that one was the worst it's been in a long time!

9/16/2005 05:27:00 PM  
Blogger WMS said...

wow... here here! That's what they TAUGHT me Jesus taught... but that's not an attitude that welcomes prostitutes and thieves... now does it???

9/26/2005 02:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home