23 December 2005

Dear Dad

Happy Birthday!

Today, 74 years ago in a house on Althea Street, West Springfield, Massachusetts, you made your entrance into the world. You were born into a family of older half-siblings, little space, big heart, courage, intelligence and grace.


When I was young, I thought for sure you should remember the Depression. Now I realize how silly that is. You probably remember WWII, but the Depression is no more real to you than the 60's are to me.

You were about to turn 30 when I was born, about to graduate from college, about to begin your life. Except you had also already lived a good life too. Served in the USAF in Alaska, been a carpenter, gone to Community College, terrorized your mother, bedeviled your sister, read to your blind grandmother, and occasionally, begrudgingly obeyed your father.


You are neither part of the so-called Greatest Generation nor the Boomer Generation and I am glad, for you are unique. You have taught me to think for myself, stand against the tide, and speak truth into a whirlwind. As I grow older and learn to find my voice, I am discovering in it echos of yours and I am proud to claim it.


One of your grandchildren recently declared, "Grampy ... he thinks, that what he does." So, Dad, have a Happy Birthday. I hope you get to think!!


Love, your favorite daughter ;-)

2 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

How sweet. What a beautiful letter.

Happy birthday from me, too.

12/23/2005 09:42:00 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Such a fine and noble tribute.

12/23/2005 06:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home