29 January 2006

Python-a-Thon

So for a multiplicity of reasons I am indulging myself in a day on the sofa watching television. I discovered that BBC-America is running a Python-a-Thon. Eight hours of Monty Python's Flying Circus that began at noon today. While funny, they are even more bizarre than I remember. I can't decide if they were on drugs, or brilliant, or both. In any case, we're all enjoying it.

One thing that has really struck me during this extended bit of television watching is the commercials. I've been noticing how filled with fear they all are. That fear is selling these days. Fear on the internet. Fear about having accidents. Fear about whether or not one has the proper insurance. Fear about one's body. And it made me start to wonder if all the drug companies who sell anti-depressants are somehow in cahoots with the ad agencies. Hmmm??? Well ... that's silly, but fear is definitely for sale on the airwaves and I don't think it's funny at all.

3 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

Oh man! I wish you had called me to alert me to Python-a-Thon!!! I LOVE those guys.

As for fear... it certainly sells. I don't think the drug companies have anything to do with it. I think people like fear (espcially made-up fears) when there is something they can do about it (i.e., but the product being advertised.) It lets them be busy protecting themselves from those fears so they don't have to focus on the things they should really be afraid of.

1/30/2006 09:36:00 AM  
Blogger Mike Croghan said...

I have pretty much everything the Pythons ever did on DVD, if y'all ever want to borrow them. Or maybe we should do a Phython-a-thon of our own. Perhaps after this one has had a chance to wear off on LightLady. :-)

1/30/2006 10:26:00 AM  
Blogger kate said...

Amen, Liz. "If we can control all elements of our environment, all will be well, and as it should be!"
We are SO deluded.

1/30/2006 12:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home