23 July 2005

Too Long

Apparently it's been too long since I've put something new up. A friend wrote last night and told me that all Emily Dickinson poems can be sung to "The Yellow Rose of Texas." I don't even dare test that theory. It might lead me down some very bad paths.

We did something last night that we haven't done in too long. We gathered our "community group" together for dinner. Well ... we were missing one member, but it was a last minute thing, and she had previous plans, and it was quite surprising that we got such a good turnout at the last minute like that anyway. We haven't gathered in about 4 months. There's been a baby born in that time. He is 3 months old now, and very cute. His parents are very much in love with him ... which is good. We all fell in love with him too. That is also good. It's good for children to grow up in a community of lots of other grown-ups and other children too.

Next month we'll go north. It's been too long since we've been north. I'm looking forward to the cooler temperatures and the cooler spirits up there. I feel more at home in the lands and peoples where I grew up. That should come as no surprise. We're going to spend 10 days in the land of the rising sun ... literally ... the town where the sun rises first on the continental U.S. It also happens to be the town where my great-grandfather was born. My great,great, great, great grandfather several times removed settled the town originally as a land grant in return for his service in the Revolutionary War. So my roots there run deep. I'm really going for the blueberries and lobsters tho. It's been too long.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home