27 October 2005

Poetry Thursday - Stevenson

The Swing
by Robert Louis Stevenson

How do you like to go up in a swing,
Up in the air so blue?
Oh, I do think it the pleasantest thing
Ever a child can do!

Up in the air and over the wall,
Till I can see so wide,
Rivers and trees and cattle and all
Over the countryside--

Till I look down on the garden green,
Down on the roof so brown--
Up in the air I go flying again,
Up in the air and down!

I know that's a children's poem ... it's one of my favorites from my childhood. When I was little my father would recite it to me when he pushed me on a swing. My Grammy Charlotte used to recite it to me just for fun, with a delighted twinkle in her eyes. Imagine then, my joy, that my lovely daughter loves to go up in the air and down even more than I. She's a real sparkler!

3 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

Did you appreciate the poetry when you were little and being pushed on the swing? Or only now, looking back?
Just curious.
(My dad used to recite a lot of poems about Alaska. Someday, I'll post the Cremation of Sam McGee in his honor on my blog... I thought him a total dork at the time, but now I love it.)

10/27/2005 01:58:00 PM  
Blogger Sonja Andrews said...

Oh I vaguely liked it back then. But I definitely like it more in hindsight. And ... my dad used to recite "The Cremation of Sam McGee" too!! I LOVED it then and now. He was stationed in Alaska during the Korean War as a reconaissance photographer ... taking pictures of those commies, the Russians.

10/27/2005 02:47:00 PM  
Blogger kate said...

NO.
WAY.
We are officially sisters now, in some odd fashion. Cool.
I have never heard of anyone else who has ever even heard of that. Not that it's something I generally ask.
Did he go around singing Johnny Horton, too?
You are so surrounded by photographers! Funny.

10/27/2005 05:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home