01 January 2006

Happy Birthday


LightGirl!

On this day, twelve years ago, you made your entrance into this world. You joined us a few weeks earlier than we anticipated you would. And you've been ahead of your game ever since.

I stood in awe yesterday and watched you skate around with your friends. Seemingly, it was just a few short years ago that you could do nothing, not even hold your head up. Now you have the stature and strength of a woman. It struck me yet again how the process of parenting is a process of giving away. Of giving myself away and of giving you away a little at a time until you are ready to be all your own. That you began life completely dependent upon me and little by little, but with ever larger steps you are gaining independence. What is interesting to me is that I need to learn how to let go slowly ... that is the job of parenting, it is actually letting go.

I've spent your first twelve years teaching you many concrete things. How to walk, how to talk, how to be polite, how to eat, how to tie your shoes, how to sew, how to clean, how to read, how to write, how to garden, how to cook, and many other things as well. Now I have six years left to make sure you know and use the ephemeral things. And there's only one really important thing that I have to pass on to you, my lovely daughter. It is the dearest prayer of my heart that you catch it one day. That when you grow up, you will follow after Jesus and love the Lord your God with all of your heart, soul, mind and strength and love your neighbor as yourself.

Happy Birthday, my favorite daughter!

6 Comments:

Blogger Mike Stavlund said...

Happy Birthday, Lightgirl!!

1/01/2006 08:43:00 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Happy Birthday, beautiful Lighgirl!

And Lightmom, you left a tear in my eye and a warmth in my heart.

God bless both of you!

1/01/2006 06:46:00 PM  
Blogger kate said...

Amen.

1/02/2006 12:27:00 AM  
Blogger WMS said...

**snif snif**

1/03/2006 01:02:00 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

Happy Birthday Lightgirl!!!!

1/03/2006 09:22:00 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Happy birthday Lightgirl! Sophie looks so much like her when she was younger. I hope she grows up to be just like her.

1/03/2006 11:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home