11 April 2006

Baby Names

With our AwakeFriends soon to have their children, the conversation comes up more and more often about how to name children. Everyone has their own special process. I find the process fascinating. I love hearing the stories of how people name their children and why they pick the names they did. What intrigues me is this ... no matter what process is used, almost always the name fits the child. Every once in a while the parent misses. But most times, it's dead on. Which leads me to wonder ... do children grow into their names, or do parents just have some kind of supernatural connection with their children, even those they adopt?

I have good reason to wonder because LightBoy's name was chosen for him almost 10 years before he was born. We picked it out when we were engaged. LightGirl's name was picked long before I got pregnant with her. I had other name picked out for other children too. They both have family names; first and middle. So they are connected and rooted in their families. I wonder sometimes why that was so important to us. But still, their names suit them.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

I always felt a bit like the souls that were waiting to incarnate themselves into our children sent mental messages to us with their desire for a certain name. We spent 9 months with lists and lists and lists and ended up pretty much choosing the first name that had come to our mind very early...one that 'felt right' early on.

Here's a neat link to check out, or pass on. http://www.namestatistics.com/

4/11/2006 09:58:00 PM  
Blogger kate said...

Perhaps, too, our perceptions of what the names encompass are shaped by those people. And, let's face it, we're hardly unbiased when it comes to our own kids! Or even our friends'. So, I'm going to name my kid a name I love, and I'm of course going to love my kid, so it all works together that way, too.
There's so much involved in all of it. I always wanted to name my (hypothetical) daughter after my grandmother -- Dorothy -- and also, I was/am a huge fan of the Oz books. But that's not one of the old-fashioned names that has found favor these days, and it's not my decision alone to make ... So it will probably never happen.

4/12/2006 05:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home