19 August 2005

Need A Friend?

TRY JESUS!

that was the sign on a church just as we crossed the Connecticut RIver from Vermont into New Hampshire.


I have to wonder, tho ... It seemed kind of cold and removed to me. I know Jesus desires to be our "friend" in a certain sense. But in another very real sense I think He's made it pretty clear that we're to be His arms and legs .... His "body" here on earth. So I think He might like us to be friends with each other first. I wish churches would have signs that said, "Need A Friend? Come On In." or "Try Us."


Or, the reality is that people who need friends don't respond to impersonal signs anyway. So I think churches which are supposed to be about people and their needs (spiritual, emotional and physical), should dispense with marquees entirely, and put out something truly inviting like food ... or ... maybe ... beer.


1 Comments:

Blogger kate said...

Yes. That sort of thing reminds me of Dogma, and Buddy Jesus giving us the good ol' thumbs-up.

8/22/2005 04:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home